elfish has written 17 articles so far, you can find them below.
A Sysinct List of Republicans who have been accused, indicted or convicted of crimes:
Randy Cunningham, $1.3-million bribes
Bob Ney – bribery
Tom DeLay – money laundering
Lewis Libby – perjury obstruction
Steven Griles, obstruction
Jack Abramoff – felony X3
Leandro Aragoncillo – espionage
Steve Rosen – criminal conspiracy
Michael Mixon – supporting terrorists
John Cowdery – conspiracy bribery
Brent Wilkes – bribery
Kyle Foggo – Corruption
Larry Craig – disorderly conduct
Claude Allen – Theft
Chris Newton – bribery
Thomas Noe – Theft, corruption, money laundering, forgery and tampering
Mark Siljander – money laundering, conspiracy and obstruction
James Tobin – phone jamming
Bernadette Noe, Robbery
Rick Renzi – Theft fraud
Bernie Kerik – fraud, tax evasion, obstruction, falsifying documents
Merle Temple – fraud money laundering
Thomas Ravenel – cocaine possession
George Ryan – 18x corruption
Dennis Gallagher – Sex crimes
Glenn Murphy Jr – Sexual assault
Leonard Owens – Rape
Ronald Kline – child pornography
Max Knapp – child exploitation
Mitchell Wade – conspiracy
John Michael – conspiracy, money laundering, perjury
Thomas Kontogiannis – money laundering
Alan Fabian – fraud
Eugene Maysky – 4 x DUI
Randy Scott – DUI
Joe Boylan – DWI
Chris Healy – 2 x DUI
Brian Bundell – sexual assault
Bruce Hopfengardner – conspiracy, money laundering, wire fraud
Thomas Broderick - money laundering
George Chris Ortloff – child sexual assault
Mark Foley – solicitation
Mark Vitter – solicitation
John Ensign – adultery, bribery
Mark Sanford - ethics violations
We commonly hear that Global Warming is “junk science” and that all the claims have been discredited. If that is so, then it should be easy to address each of the basic ideas behind global warming. So, for Man-made Global Warming deniers, which of the following facts don’t you believe?
1. We are burning more and more coal, oil and natural gas. (Doubled since 1960.)
2. Burning oil, coal, and natural gas releases CO2. (Doubled since 1970)
3. The Oceans have a fixed volume of water and have a limited ability to absorb CO2.
4. Plants have a limited ability to absorb CO2 and with deforestation it is decreasing. (10-million hectares/year.)
5. The net amount of CO2 in the atmospher is increasing; by 23% since 1959 and by 49% since 1850. (1850 = 280PPM.)
6. The current CO2 level of 390 PPM is higher than any time in the last 400,000 years. (Previous peak from Antartice ice cores 300PPM)
7. The last time CO2 levels were has high as today was 2.1-million years ago. (Previous pre-industrial peaks were around 300PPM, 400,000 years ago).
8. CO2 blocks Infrared radiation centered around 1.4um and is thus a greenhouse gas.
9. The CO2 increase over the last 150 years is responsible for the earth retaining 1.4 watts per M^2.
10. Various cycles such as sun spot cycles, orbital cycles, etc. amount to no more that 0.4 watts per M^2.
11. Positive feedback mechanisms, methane release, less snow cover, increased water vapor increase the effects by 2 to 9 watts per M^2.
12. Control quesiton: the earth is more than 2-billion years old.
I have an idea for the perfect republican team: George Bush and Dan Quayle. Americans would be really happy because they’d be constantly laughing themselves silly:
Quayle: “Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.”
Bush: “Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren’t able to practice their love with women all across this country.”
Quayle: “One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is ‘to be prepared’.”
Bush: “They misunderestimated me.”
Quayle: “I stand by all the misstatements that I’ve made.
Bush: “I’ve abandoned free market principles to save the free market system.”
Quayle: “The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation’s history. I mean in this century’s history. But we all lived in this century. I didn’t live in this century.”
Who’s funnier? It is hard to choose.
You might be a republican:
1. If you are opposed to socialism and learned about it in a free public library.
2. If you hate the “de.ath tax” and the only thing you inherited from your parents was baldness and a 1948 GMC pickup truck.
3. If you think a man born in New Haven, Connecticut to a rich Boston family is a good old boy (Bush).
4. If you think a black man raised by single mother, with the middle name Hussein is an elitist.
5. If you are opposed abortion because you have enough money squirreled away to fly your girl friend to Mexico.
6. If you think it’s okay for Limbaugh to take oxycodone, but crack smokers should get life.
7. You want Terry Shivo and Dick Cheney to be kept on life support.
Q: What do you get when you have a basement full of Republicans?
A: A whine cellar.
Q: What do you get when you cross a pig and with a Republican?
A: Nothing. There are some things even a pig won’t do.
Q: What do you get when you put 32 republicans in one room?
A: A full set of teeth.
Q: What is the difference between a republican and a bag of fertilizer?
A: The bag.
Q: How many republicans does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: One, but they won’t do anything without the permission from health insurance lobbiest and $20,000.
Republicans: daylight savings time is over, time to turn your clock back one century.
Q: Why were conservatives created?
A: Because the devil couldn’t be two places at once.
Q: How do you get a one-armed Republican out of a tree?
A: Wave to him.
You might be a Tea Bagger if: “Your family tree doesn’t branch.”
When they were prepairing Sarah Palin for VP, they had a security audit checking the passwords on her computer accounts. During the audit, it was discovered that Sarah was using the following password:
When asked why she had such a long password, she said she was told that it had to be at least 8 characters long and include at least one capital.
Q: What does a tornado, hurricane and a teabagger divorce have in common?
A: Somebody is losing a trailer
Many people who post on Huffington Post get frustrated because their comments disappear or seem excessively moderated. People often take this personally and complain that the moderators are being unfair and are picking on them. In reality, posts are rarely banned for the reasons people think. In most cases, your post disappears because of software errors or filtering software that is completely impersonal. In fact, you have a great deal of control over how much your posts are scrutinized and whether your posts are displayed.
I don’t work for HP, but I do have a lot of experience building web sites and writing computer software. With some experimenting, I’ve figured out how the HP’s software works and what things get your comments displayed and what things will get them blocked. Here are the details:
1. WORDS. There are certain words that will get your post automatically flagged for moderation. If the software detects any one of the words, the following message will be displayed at the top of your post:
“This comment is pending approval and won’t be displayed until it is approved.”
If you refresh the display, your comment will disappear and won’t be displayed until one of HP’s moderators has reviewed it. This may take one minute or several hours. When the post is finally approved, it does not go to the top of the comments. It is inserted into the comments in a slot that corresponds to the time you posted it. That means that your comment is usually dozens of pages back when it finally appears, so no one will see it.
The way to avoid getting the “comment-pending” message is to avoid words that will be flagged. For example, avoid using obviously obscene words and scatological words. Potentially insulting or threatening words will get you flagged. Remember, the software isn’t smart; it doesn’t know if you want the bill to “die” or want the person you are arguing with to “die.” As a result, you need to be careful with words like “kill,” “death,” “die,” “bury,” “stab” etc.
Insulting words, racist words, and even words referring to various religions can get your post flagged. Again, the software doesn’t know if you are being anti-semitic when you use the word “jew,” so to be safe, it automatically flags it no matter what your intentions were.
The tricky part is that some words that seem perfectly ordinary will get flagged. For example, the word “henry” is flagged because it an obscure sexual reference. (Note: there is a collection of potentially propblematic at the end of this article.)
2. CAMOUFLAGE. If you have to use one of the sensitive words, you can disguise it from the software using various tricks. For example, you can spell the word creatively so the software doesn’t recognize it:
Chit = shit
You can also substitute non-alphabetic character the a human would recognize but the computer would not:
he// = hell or h8te = hate
Finally, inserting punctuation in a word can make it unrecognizable to the software:
de.ath = death
This is probably the easiest to because you don’t have to think much: just insert a random period, dash or underscore in the questionable word and the software won’t be able to recognize the word and won’t trigger the censorship software.
Inserting a period works because it breaks the word into pieces and the software cannot recognize the pieces. For example, if you insert a period in the word “Lied” like this “Li.ed” the computer sees it as two separate words “Li” and “ed.”
Be careful where you put the period other wise you might not fix the problem. For example, if you the period here: “Lie.d”, the computer will see it as the two words “Lie” and “d,” so the computer still sees the offensive word “Lie” and will flag your post.
3. LOST POSTS. Sometimes your post will appear initially and then will disappear. It won’t be marked with the “pending” message; it will just disappear. Here is what happen with those posts:
When you press the “Post Comment” button, two things happen:
A. First, the software embedded in the web page displays your comment in your own browser. Since this software is running on your computer, the comment is displayed quickly without any need to talk to the Huffington Post Server.
B. Second, the same software sends a copy of your comment back to the Huffington Post server so it can be stored in a database and displayed anytime a particular page is displayed.
If anything goes wrong when the comment is sent back to the server, your comment will be lost and won’t get stored in the database. Even though it appeared in your browser, it will disappear as soon as you refresh the page.
There are several things that can cause your comment to be lost. First, if the server is very busy, it may missed the comment. A server can only handle so much traffic. When the maximum traffic is exceeded, the messages will simply get lost. You will normally see this problem when an article is getting lots of comments.
Another cause is refreshing the page before the message has been sent. For example, if you press the “Post A Comment” button and then immediately refresh the page, your browser may not have finished transmitting the comment to the server. Refreshing the page causes the browser to drop what it is doing, so the comment never gets sent.
It is best to wait a few seconds after you post a comment before refreshing the display. The same thing applies when you see the yellow box at the bottom of the page that says:
“New comments on this entry 340- Click to refresh.”
Clicking on it this yellow box causes the display to refresh, so you should also avoid clicking on it for a few seconds after you have posted a comment.
If you think your post has been lost, wait a couple minutes and refresh your browser. Sometimes the server is slow to put your post in the database and it will appear later. If it doesn’t reappear, just re-post the comment being careful not refresh the display for at least 15-seconds. That will usually solve the problem.
4. WRONG PAGE POSTS. If you go through your profile and navigate to one of your old comments, you might end up on the 100th page. If you then decide to post a new comment at the top of the page, your comment will initially go to the top of the 100th page. But if the page is refreshed, the comment will shift to the first page. If you are still on the 100th page, the post will seem to disappear.
5. SCROLLED POSTS. Posts can also disappear, not because they are lost, but because they are scrolled off the first page before you see them. The first page of comments usually has about 40 posts. If you post a comment and more than 40 comments come in, you post could be on the second, third or even fourth page before the browser refreshes the page.
When traffic is heavy, your post maybe on the first page for less than a minute. Since most people don’t look beyond the first page, your post may not be seen by more than a few people. To maximize the time your comment appears on the first page, wait for the “yellow box” to appear on the bottom of the window, click to refresh it and then post your comment immediately.
6. FULLY MODERATED ARTICLES. Some articles are “Fully Moderated.” That means every post will be held up until it is reviewed by the HP staff. There is nothing you can do about this and everybody is the same boat. It makes it hard to have a conversation with anyone, but Huffington is just being carefully with an especially controversial topic. If you are frustrated, go to a different article that isn’t fully moderated.
I’ve been gradually collecting words that will trigger your post being flagged. Some of them are pretty surprising:
Evil, Dick, Henry, Trans, Ugly, Kill, troll, Jew, Jewish, Vile, Moderators, McNutt, Rove, Nut, Rove, Blows
This part of the Gulf of Mexico had been OFF LIMITS to drilling until Bush was elected. It also had strict environmental protections until Bush removed them. Here are the specific things he did to open this area to drilling:
1. May 2001. Cheney chaired a secret Energy Task Force, (NEPDG), releasing a document pushing offshore drilling and removing restrictions.
2. August, 2005, the Republican/Bush passed the “Energy Policy Act of 2005″ authorizing drilling on the outer continental shelf..
3. December 2006, the Republican/Bush pass the “Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act” (GOMESA), mandating leasing 7.8 million acres in the Central Gulf and removing environmental regulations.
4. April 2007. Bush cleared millions of acres in the “Central Planning Area” for drilling including this site. The EIS downplayed the risks:
“Offshore oil spills resulting from a proposed action in the
WPA are not expected to damage significantly any wetlands
along the Gulf Coast.” (Page 83)
“A subsurface blowout would have a negligible effect on GOM
fish resources or commercial fishing.” (Page 89)
5. Dec 2007. Bush/Republicans pass the “Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007″ which
removed many environmental protections, shortened the drilling permit period from 2 years to
10 days and allowed drilling in National Parks.
6. July 2008, Bush lifted the ban on offshore drilling in place for 26 years. Originally passed by congress in 1982, it was expanded in 1990 by Bush’s father and Clinton extended it to 2012.
“For years, my administration has been calling on Congress to
expand domestic oil production. Unfortunately, Democrats on
Capitol Hill have rejected virtually every proposal.”
“Failure to act is unacceptable. So today, I’ve
issued a memorandum to lift the executive prohibition on oil
exploration in the Outer Continental Shelf.”